VIBIBI - SWAHILI PANCAKES
Vibibi are gluten free rice pancakes with coconut flavour from the Swahili Cuisine. Enjoy it for breakfast with the traditional kahwa.
- 1½ cups rice white
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 1½ cup thick coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh coconut grated
- ½ tsp cardamom powder elachi
- 1 tsp instant dry active yeast
- oil/ butter for cooking the pancakes
PREPARATION OF THE BATTER:
Soak the rice overnight or for at least 6 hours in lukewarm water.
Put the rice in a sieve or strainer to drain out the water. Wash the rice under running water and let the water drain out completely.
Put the rice and coconut milk in the blender jug and process it to a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a big bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients except the oil and mix it well.
Cover the bowl and allow the batter to ferment for 1-2 hours.
The batter should appear frothy.
PREPARATION OF VIBIBI:
Heat a frying pan with a tsp of oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, drop a ladleful (about ¼ cup) of the batter into the pan.
As it cooks tiny holes will appear on top. When the edges are light brown, flip the pancake over.
Add a little oil around it and cook till it is golden brown.
After each pancake is cooked, let the oil get a bit hot before adding the batter.
Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve hot Vibibi on its own or with chopped fresh fruit and honey.½
- Traditionally, water is added to the grated coconut and squeezed using a strainer or a strong cloth to get the thick milk. I used ready made canned coconut milk, as it gives a much better coconut taste.
- If you’re in a cold place, place the bowl with batter in hot water. This will help the batter to ferment faster.
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste. Traditionally, about ½ cup is added to the batter.
- If you're not following a vegan diet, you can add an egg to the batter. If using an egg then add less coconut milk.