SANTRA BASUNDI/ TANGERINE KHEER
Santra Basundi/ Tangerine Kheer is a creamy, sweet, thickened milk dessert. Its a popular Gujarati Sweet served along with the main meal.
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 4 tbsp sugar reduce amount if using condensed milk
- 4 tbsp grated mawa or condensed milk
- 1 cup tangerine segments with the membrane, seeds and white part removed
- ¼ tsp saffron
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsp almond flakes
- 1 tbsp pistachio flakes
Put the milk in a deep saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer till its nearly half the quantity. Remember to stir it frequently.
This will take about 15-20 minutes. At this stage the milk will appear creamish in colour.
Add the sugar and mawa or condensed milk. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Let the mixture cool down a bit. Whisk it with a hand blender to make it into a smooth mixture.
Add saffron, cardamom and nutmeg powder. Mix and let it become cold.
Add the tangerine segments.
Put the basundi in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
Decorate with the almond and pistachio flakes and serve.
- If you are using sweet condensed milk, reduce the amount of sugar you use.
- For a much creamier consistency add ½ cup fresh cream when the basundi is cold.
- Instead of tangerine, add pomegranate, grapes or berries.
- I prefer using a non stick pan for kheers. The milk does not get burnt easily.