KUE SERABI - INDONESIAN PANCAKES WITH COCONUT
Enjoy vegan, gluten free Kue Serabi for breakfast. Delcious with coconut and pandan flavours, relish these pancakes with your favourite topping.
FOR THE PANCAKE BATTER:
- 1 cup rice flour
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- 150 ml coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 drops pandan extract
- 1 tsp instant active dry yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
FOR THE COCONUT SAUCE:
- 75 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp palm or coconut sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 cup fresh fruit
- ½ cup coconut sauce
PREPARATION OF THE PANCAKE BATTER:
Add the batter ingredients into a mixing bowl. If you want plain and green pancakes then add the pandan extract later.
Mix all the ingredients together using a whisk. Make sure no flour lumps are left.
Cover the bowl and allow the batter to ferment for an hour.
PREPARATION OF THE COCONUT SAUCE:
Mix rice flour with 1 tbsp of water to make a slurry.
Add all the ingredients into a saucepan, including the slurry.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till the sauce becomes a little thick.
Don't allow the coconut milk to boil.
Pour the sauce into a serving bowl or jug and keep it on the side till required.
PREPARATION OF KUE SERABI - INDONESIAN PANCAKES
If you want to make both the white and green pancakes, divide the batter into two.
Add pandan extract to one part and mix gently.
Take a serabi pan. I've used a mini uttapam pan as I don't have a serabi pan. Place it over medium to low heat.
Add a few drops of oil into each cavity.
Pour about 2 tbsp of the batter into each cavity. Cover the pan.
Allow the pancakes to cook till you see that the top part is dry.
Remove the pancakes from the pan.
Make more pancakes using up all the batter in the same manner. Rememebr to cook them over low to medium heat as you don't want them to burn and remain raw.
Serve pancakes with the Coconut Sauce and your favourite topping.
- Allow the batter to ferment. It should be bubbly if you want those tiny holes to appear on the pancakes.
- Try and use fresh grated coconut as it adds a lovely taste and bite too.
- Use any toppings of your choice or serve them plain with the sauce.
- Don't allow the coconut milk for the sauce to boil. The fat will separate and you will not get a nice thick sauce.
- Adjust the sugar according to your taste.