SWEET POTATO TIKKIS/PATTIES
Sweet Potato Tikki/Patties is a delicious snack with a balance of flavours, sweet, salty and sour. Enjoy them as a starter, or serve as a part of a main meal.
- 800 g 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2-3 finely chopped green chillis
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp rock salt
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 - 3 tbsp arrowroot flour or cassava flour
- ¼ cup chopped cashew nuts
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- oil for deeping frying, shallow frying
Boil or roast the sweet potatoes till its done. If you want to roast it then let it bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180°C.
Peel the sweet potatoes. Mash the potatoes.
Add all the remaining ingredients.
Grease your hands with oil and a tray.
Take about a golf ball size of the mixture.
Roll it and shape it into a flat disc.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
Pour a little oil into the pan, about 1-2 tbsp.
Put the patties in the pan.
Let them cook till its golden brown.
Flip and cook the other side.
Serve with chutney.
For Deep Frying:
Heat oil in a wok or karai over medium heat.
Add a small piece of the mixture in the oil. If the oil is ready the piece should sizzle and come up.
Add patties to the oil and deep fry till they are light golden brown in colour.
- You can make tiny ones to serve as starters.
- Serve with yogurt drizzled over the tikki/patties. Add some chutney and sprinkle fried potato sticks or crisp. (chips).
- Adding pomegranate is optional.
- During shallow frying or deep frying if the tikki disintegrates, then just add 1-2 tbsp more of the binding flour.