An easy, traditional dessert where apples are tossed with brown sugar and cinnamon. Topped with a crisp, its a delighful dessert to enjoy with some ice cream, whipped cream or custard.
FOR THE CRISP LAYER:
- ¾ -1 cup rolled oats or quick oats
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100 g butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 medium apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup water or apple juice
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ -⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¾ -1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp wheat flour
- some butter for brushing
PREPARATION OF CRISP LAYER:
Mix flour, oat, cinnamon powder and sugar together.
Add butter and rub it into the mixture.
PREPARATION OF THE FILLING:
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Brush a 8" X 8" tray or 8 ovenproof bowls with butter.
You can leave the apples unpeeled if they are not waxed. Otherwise peel and core them. Slice or chop them into pieces.
Immediately drizzle with lemon juice and mix so that they do not begin to turn brown.
Add apple juice or water, sugar, raisins, flour and cinnamon powder. Mix well.
FOR INDIVIDUAL BOWLS:
Arrange the bowls on a baking tray.
Divide the filling equally and add to the greased bowls.
Divide the crisp layer equally.
Bake for 20 minutes or till the top layer is golden brown.
Remove the baked crisp from the oven. Let it cool slightly.
Top with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or custard and serve.
BAKE IN A TRAY:
Grease a 8" X 8" tray with butter.
Add the filling and spread it out into an even layer.
Sprinkle the crisp topping over the filling, evenly.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the top is golden brown.
Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool slightly.
Serve portions of apple crisp topped with ice cream, whipped cream or custard and serve.
- Add fresh berries instead of raisins.
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
- Can use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Add nutmeg to the filling for a different flavour.
- To serve during a dinner party, put the crisp to bake as the guests arrive. It will be ready to serve by dessert time.
- Use leftover apple crisp the next day as breakfast. Top it with plain or Greek yogurt.