SABUDANA KHEER /TAPIOCA PEARL PUDDING
A creamy, delicious, gluten free, rich pudding enjoyed during fasting days or whenever you feel its kheer time.
- ¼ cup sabudana, tapioca pearls
- 2½ cups fresh milk
- saffron, a few strands
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 2-3 tbsp chopped nuts of yoru choice
- 4-6 tbsp sugar
Soak the sabudana in water for at least 1 hour or more. Drain into a sieve and wash under running water.
Heat the milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir occasionally so it does not burn at the bottom.
When the milk comes to a boil, add the sugar and the soaked sabudana and stir gently.
The kheer is done when the sabudana becomes transparent and floats to the top.
Take the pan off the heat. Add the spices and nuts.
Let it cool or serve immediately.
When the kheer becomes cold, the consistency becomes thicker.
- Put the kheer in the fridge to cool. Serve it with grapes, pomegranate, mixed fresh fruit, etc.
- The amount of sugar can be adjusted according to your taste. Can opt for honey, maple syrup, stevia, jaggery, etc.
- Make it a day ahead. The flavours of the spices and saffron infuse well when left overnight in the fridge.
- For a much thicker consistency of kheer use more sabudana - about ½ cup more.
- If the kheer becomes too thick, add a little milk to it.
- This kheer can be served hot also.