A healthier version of the traditional bhel puri where I've avoided using fried papdi and added a variety of vegetables and fruits. Filling and very tasty.
For Mamra/Puffed Rice:
- 2-3 cups mamra, puffed rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ -1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
For the Healthy Bhel:
- ½ cup thin sev optional
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- ½ cup bean sprouts cooked
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ cup fresh fruit or fruits of your choice chopped
- ½ cup cucumber finely cubed
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup raw mango peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup baked roti or khakra pieces optional
- 1 cup date tamarind chutney
- ½ -1 cup green chutney
Preparation of Roasted Mamra/puffed Rice:
Preheat the oven to 150°C.
Put mamra (puffed rice) in a big bowl.
Add turmeric powder, oil and salt to it. Mix it well.
Put the mamra in a baking tray. Spread it out into a thin layer.
Roast the mamra for 20 minutes in the oven or till they become crunchy.
Remove the mamra from the oven and add chaat masala and chilli powder. Mix well. Let the mamra cool down a bit.
To Serve Healthy Bhel:
Add cucumber, bean sprouts, corn, fruits, onion, raw mango, baked roti or khakhra pieces, and sev is using any to the roasted mamra.
Serve with the date tamarind and green chutney.
Add boiled potatoes, cooked chickpea, raw carrot diced etc. In fact add whatever you wish.
I sometimes add boiled peanuts instead of the roasted ones.
Add more fruits and vegetables to make it more healthier.