Chilli Avocado Chocolate Cake
EVENT: SHHH COOKING SECRETLY
Chilli Avocado Chocolate Cake:
Vegan, fudgy, eggless and delicious, are the words to describe this incredibly easy to bake chilli avocado chocolate cake. If you’re a lover of avocado and chocolate like me then you’ll love this cake. Since I love the combination of chocolate and chilli, I decided to add a bit in the cake batter. The subtle taste of chilli, felt at the back of the throat is simply awesome. I followed the recipe for this from the blog I’m A Baker. Obviously, I halved the recipe (Amanda’s bake is huge!) and added chilli powder. I also used avocado chocolate frosting.
A bit about the group:
Members of this group give their partners two secret ingredients according to the theme decided and prepare a dish. Once the dish is ready we add the photo only and other members try and guess the secret ingredients. Towards the end of the month the secret is revealed when we share the recipe link. This month’s theme Chocolate was suggested by me.
As I mentioned above, this group is all about partners. For this theme my partners are Preethi and Sasmita. Preethi blogs at Preethi’s Cuisine which has a wide variety of some traditional and some unusual recipes. I’ve tried her Dahi Sabudana (sago in yogurt) recipe and absolutely love it. I’ve yet to try out her Chocolate Affogato recipe. Preethi gave me avocado and chilli powder and thus used them to make Chilli Avocado Chocolate Cake. I gave her saffron and raisins to use as her secret ingredients. Preethi has made this super delicious Kesar Mawa Choco Squares.
Whenever we have odd number or participants or anyone who joins later on, Renu or I give them the secret ingredients. Sasmita was away due to some personal reasons and when she indicated an interest to participate I gave her cocoa powder and vanilla as her secret ingredients. She has made melt in the mouth Eggless Chocolate Piped Cookies. By the way, you should check out her blog First Timer Cook. I simply love her balance of traditional Odia recipes with modern day ones. I’m still waiting for the opportunity to try out her Chocolate Tea recipe.
Why Use Avocado in a Cake?
First of all because it adds a whole ton of nutritional value to the cake. Secondly, avocado adds as an excellent substitute for eggs, cream, butter, fat, oil, etc. Avocado has high content of water and fat, as a result the cake turns out soft. And its an excellent way to use up a slightly over ripe avocado. Generally, substitute one egg with ¼ cup mashed avocado.
Avocado is a favorite substitute to make vegan cakes. However, though avocado fruit has a mild distinct flavour of its own as such, on cooking, it tastes slightly bitter. Cooked avocado is an acquired taste. Having said that, I don’t like cooked avocado with eggs, avocado wedges, cooked avocado sauce with pasta…nope I don’t at all. As for adding it to the cake, the slight bitterness was there but the fudgy texture and chocolate flavors, slight chilli hint made up for it. Tastes absolutely a delight with the avocado frosting and some ice cream.
Some Chocolate Dessert Recipes:
- Almond and Chocolate Halwa
- creamy Chocolate Phirni
- Hot Chocolate
- Double Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Coated Strawberries
- Delicious Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Easy to make Chocolate Medallions
- refined sugar free Chocolate Date Mousse
- Eggless Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake
- Extra Nutty Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- Eggfree Chocolate Muffins
- Eggless Chocolate Cake
Ingredients required for Chilli Avocado Chocolate Cake:
- Dark Chocolate – use a good quality one
- Ripe Avocado – for the cake batter and for the frosting
- Cocoa – for the cake batter and frosting
- Flour – I’ve used half wheat flour and half all purpose flour
- Cinnamon Powder
- Red Chilli Powder – for adding to the cake batter and frosting
- Baking Powder – as the leavening agent
- Baking Soda – soda bicarbonate. As the leavening agent
- Oil – any of your choice – coconut, avocado, etc. I’ve used sunflower seed oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar – or any other good quality vinegar
- Black Coffee – made by brewing 2 tbsp coffee with 1 cup water
- Brown sugar
- Icing or powdered sugar – for the frosting
Vegan friendly cake
I wouldn’t say that Avocado Frosting is healthy as I’ve added icing sugar. However you can make it healthy by adding stevia. As it has no butter, in that respect you can say its fat free.
CHILLI AVOCADO CHOCOLATE CAKE
FOR THE CHILLI AVOCADO CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- 4 oz dark chocolate grated
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup mashed avocado
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cider apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp coffee powder
- 1¼ cup hot water
- 1 cup brown sugar
FOR THE AVOCADO CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- ½ cup mashed avocado
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup icing sugar
- generous pinch chilli powder
PREPARATION OF CHILLI AVOCADO CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line an 8 inch diameter cake tin with parchment paper.
- Heat up the water and add the coffee powder. Let the coffee infuse for a while.
- Pour the black coffee into a small bowl. If it has become cold, heat it up again.
- Add cocoa powder and the grated chocolate to the hot black coffee.
- Stir till the chocolate melts.
- Add oil, vinegar, sugar and mashed avocado to the black coffee mixture and whisk.
- In another bowl sift or sieve flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and red chilli powder together.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry flour mixture.
- Fold in gently till all the flour mixture is wet. Don't over mix the batter.
- The batter will be a bit runny.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Smoothen the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 45 -55 minutes or till a skewer or toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool down in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin, peel off the parchment paper and allow the cake to cool down competely on a wire rack.
PREPARATION OF THE AVOCADO CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- Sieve or sift the icing sugar,cocoa, cinnamon powder and red chilli powder together into a bowl.
- Add mashed avocado and mix well.
FROSTING THE CAKE:
- Using a spatula, spread the frosting on top and the sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with chopped nuts or grated chocolate and serve.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962