620. Rice Salad
Today is one of those days when I have no idea what I want to write about. Usually before I go into the recipe, I have something to write about, family events, news, thoughts etc. There is a lot happening in this world but I have no inclination to write about it.
So today I’ll just straight go to the recipe. #FoodieMonday #Bloghop team decided on a hot or cold rice recipe as our 81st theme. Taking rice as the main ingredient, we were suppose to make a piping hot dish or a cold dish. I didn’t want to make anything piping hot as its just too hot here in Mombasa. So for cold I had options of kheer, phirni, rice pudding. My family didn’t want anything sweet so I decided to make a cold rice salad, full of vegetables, fruits and nuts. This was our lunch, just the right sort of meal to beat the heat. Surprisingly, after having the salad we didn’t feel lethargic because of the rice. I guess because the quantity of rice used is less and the salad had more lighter healthier ingredients.
Serves 4 or 2 as a light meal
For the salad:
½ cup brown uncooked rice (use white or brown)
¼ cup peeled and diced carrot
¼ cup chopped grapes
¼ cup diced cucumber
¼ cup diced bell pepper, any colour
1 tangerine, peeled and cut into halves
2 tbsp dried cranberries
8-10 walnuts cut into pieces
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
¼ tsp salt
2-3 drops of oil
Orange Ginger Dressing:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tp grated fresh ginger
4 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp coarse pepper powder
¼ – ½ tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp honey
½ tsp salt
- To prepare the dressing, put all the dressing ingredients in a small jar. Cover it with the lid. Put the dressing in the fridge to cool till required.
- Wash the rice in a sieve under running water for a few seconds.
- Boil 1 cup of water with ¼ tsp salt and a few drops of oil.
- Add the rice. Cover the pan and cook the rice till its done. Make sure you don’t overcook the rice.
- Take the rice out into a plate. Spread it out with a fork and let it cool.
- Once the rice is cool, add all the remaining salad ingredients. Mix it well.
- Keep the salad in the fridge till its chilled.
- To serve, shake the jar with the dressing, give it a good shake. Add the dressing to the rice salad and enjoy a cold salad on a hot day.
- I used a medium grained light brown rice (don’t know what its called).
- Add fruits of your choice.
- Add nuts of your choice.
- Use leftover rice to prepare this filling salad.
|Fruit and Nut Rice kheer|
|Mushroom Fried Rice