Sweet Potato Tikki/ Patties
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #36
RECIPE: SWEET POTATO TIKKI/ PATTIES
What is Sweet Potato Tikki/ Patties?
Sweet Potato Tikki/ Patties is an Indian Snack made using boiled or roasted sweet potatoes. Spices are added according to one’s taste. After that, the mixture is rolled into balls or discs. Finally, Sweet Potato Tikki/ Patties are either deep fried in oil or shallow fried. Usually, the tikki or pattis is served with a chutney, tomato sauce or even yogurt.
What is a Tikki or Patties?
In fact, the word tikki is the Hindi or Marathi name for a small cutlet or croquette. By the way, patties is another word commonly used in the Indian Sub Continent for tikki. Patties is a round little flattened serving of minced meat, legumes, grains or vegetables. The word patties probably became more famous during the British Rule in India.
Some Tikkis/ Patties you may want to try out
- Aloo tikki or patties is the most common one available all over India.
- I like to make Samo Tikki/ Barnyard Millet Patties whenever I have leftover Samo Khichdi. It makes a delicious ‘farsan’ to serve with Ekadashi or Navratri Fasting.
- Hara Bhara Tikki is actually quite famous in most Indian restaurants. Spinach and peas are the key ingredients for this delicious starter or snack. Some recipes include paneer in it.
- Beetroot Tikki/ Cutlets – my hubby’s favorite.
- If you have leftover poha then use it up to make Poha Tikki as Renu does.
It’s Time For Garbas and Dandiyas – It’s Navratri Time
Navratri is back and will be over before we know it. Basically, it’s time for fasting, prayers and dancing (garbas and dandiyas). Many Hindu families abstain from meat and alcohol during this period. Some fast by having only one meal without garlic or onions. Others fast omitting pulses and grains from their diet. A few follow the diet of only milk and fruits. Personally, I don’t fast all 9 days but do fast on the 8th day of Navratri.
What is Navratri?
As a matter of fact, Nav means nine and ratri means night. During these 9 nights and 10 days the Hindus worship the nine forms of Goddess Durga. As a matter of fact, the nine forms are :
Navratri is celebrated in different ways by different regions of India. In the northern part of India navratras are usually celebrated by holding pooja and singing bhajans(devotional songs). In Gujarat and Mumbai, its usually celebrated with garbas and dandiyas. Durga Ma is worshipped for all 9 days in the eastern part of India. Huge pandals are set up and decorated to worship the Goddess. Different communities have different rituals but its celebrated by all Hindus.
My Navratri Fasting Recipe – Sweet Potato Tikki/ Patties
Though I don’t fast all nine days of Navratri, I like to make different Navratri Fasting friendly food or snack. During this period, most Gujaratis will not have the following:
- any grains,
- Vegetables like onion, garlic,okra, eggplant, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, etc too are avoided.
However, it can get very confusing what one can have and what not to have. During these fasting months, it’s best to follow what your local temple priest advises or what your family follows. Actually, I love making sweet potato tikki as its naturally sweet and full of fiber. Besides that, the sweetness from the sweet potato is well balanced with slight sourness from the mango Coriander Chutney. Definitely love making mango coriander chutney to go with it. Occasionally, Sometimes, I serve it with yogurt, chutney and some fried potato sticks or chips (crisp). As a result, it becomes a filling meal. However, feel free to serve Sweet Potato TIkki/Patties with any chutney of your choice.
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS
Updated on 16/10/2020
The group Foodies _ Redoing Old Posts, allows me to redo my old post, of which I have a large number. Breathing new life into them with new photos and better write up is what I like. Its a bi monthly group, where members redo old posts and share on Facebook. That way we are able to get some bloggers’ love towards our forgotten posts. It’s Renu’s idea to re-do old posts as a group. Renu blogs at Cook With Renu.
Ingredients required for Sweet Potato Tikki/ Patties:
Sweet Potato – boil, peel and mash or can use roasted potatoes too.
As Binding Flour – If you’re preparing sweet potato tikki for fasting then use arrowroot, cassava, amaranth (rajgira) or water chestnut (singada) flour. I used arrowroot.
Fresh Ginger – grated or minced
Green Chillis – add according to your taste. Finely chopped or minced
Salt – usually for fasting sendha namak or rock salt is used
Lemon Juice – for that little sour taste
Fresh Coriander – chopped
Cumin – jeera
Cashew Nuts – finely chopped. Can replace them with roasted peanuts or omit altogether
Pomegranate Arils – add to the mixture or use it as stuffing. This another optional ingredient.
Cinnamon Powder – taj
Clove Powder – laving.
SWEET POTATO TIKKIS/PATTIES
- 800 g 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2-3 finely chopped green chillis
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp rock salt
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 - 3 tbsp arrowroot flour or cassava flour
- ¼ cup chopped cashew nuts
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- oil for deeping frying, shallow frying
- Boil or roast the sweet potatoes till its done. If you want to roast it then let it bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180°C.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Mash the potatoes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Grease your hands with oil and a tray.
- Take about a golf ball size of the mixture.
- Roll it and shape it into a flat disc.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour a little oil into the pan, about 1-2 tbsp.
- Put the patties in the pan.
- Let them cook till its golden brown.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with chutney.
For Deep Frying:
- Heat oil in a wok or karai over medium heat.
- Add a small piece of the mixture in the oil. If the oil is ready the piece should sizzle and come up.
- Add patties to the oil and deep fry till they are light golden brown in colour.
- You can make tiny ones to serve as starters.
- Serve with yogurt drizzled over the tikki/patties. Add some chutney and sprinkle fried potato sticks or crisp. (chips).
- Adding pomegranate is optional.
- During shallow frying or deep frying if the tikki disintegrates, then just add 1-2 tbsp more of the binding flour.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962