360.Red cabbage and carrot salad
Why is it not called purple cabbage?
The red cabbage looks purple but is called a red cabbage. Why?? Well avoiding all those scientific facts, I preferred the simple explanation that when cooked the cabbage turns red and therefore the name red cabbage. However, the pigment anthocyanin in the plant changes colour according to the pH value of the soil. The more alkaline the soil the more reddish it grows.Adding anything acidic like apples, lemon juice, vinegar etc will turn the cabbage red on cooking it otherwise it becomes blue.
Red cabbage comes with its own nutritional benefits. The red pigment anthocyanin is an antioxidant, an anti inflammatory substance thereby improving immunity. Its high in Vitamin K,E and C. This makes its an anti -ageing product. Rich in fibres it helps in digestion and cleansing the bowels. As a rich source of calcium it keeps away osteoporosis. It is also healthy for the eyes.
I make red cabbage salad very often and add other vegetables and fruits to it to make it interesting and palatable. I want to share this basic recipe of red cabbage and carrot salad but feel free to add other ingredients and change the dressing if you wish.
RED CABBAGE AND CARROT SALAD
2 cups (packed) of finely shredded red cabbage
1 cup (packed) grated carrot
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriander
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp garlic paste
¼-½ tsp green chilli paste
½ to 1 tsp salt
- To prepare the dressing put all the dressing ingredients in a jar and give it a good shake or whisk it in a bowl.
- Mix the shredded cabbage, grated carrot, onion, coriander and mint.
- Add the dressing and mix it up well.
- Let the salad chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will also help to soften the cabbage a bit.
- Add grilled paneer or halloumi cheese to the salad.
- Add red grapes.
- Can add finely chopped chilli instead of the paste.
- Use sour cream dressing or mayonnaise.
- Add vegetables, herbs and fruits of your choice.
You may want to check out the following: