337.Green tomato jam
My first jam making session
I have over the years accumulated many jam recipes but have never tried making jam. I don’t know, is it because I feel it might be difficult or I get scared to sterilise the jars. Don’t know why. However, today Julius my househelp, walks in with a whole bag of green tomatoes from his farm. I got excited and instantly the recipe for the green tomato jam came out my recipe book. I was a bit hesitant as I had no idea how the jam would turn out. It tastes yummy and I had some with plain paratha as a snack in the afternoon. The jam is sweet and tangy at the same time. It didn’t take long at all and I think now the jam bug is slowly creeping into my bones. Its funny how I get stuck onto certain things for a period of time, first it was salads, then bread, followed by muffins then the cookie bug took over and now it seems its jams. Planning to make some to take for my Nunu and my daughter, Nami as I am travelling very soon to India. Will try out different fruits.Lets see how time permits me to tackle everything in such a short time. In the meantime, I am glad to share the recipe for green tomato jam with you.
GREEN TOMATO JAM
Makes about 1¼ cups
500g green tomatoes
⅓ cup sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp thin strips of lemon peel or zest
2 tbsp thin strips of ginger
1″ cinnamon stick
4 to 6 cloves
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces. You will get about 3½ cups of chopped tomatoes.
- Put all the above ingredients in a saucepan.
- Mix well and put the pan over medium heat.Keep stirring occasionally. Lower the heat if necessary.
- Let the mixture cook and don’t forget to stir.
- Cook till the mixture becomes thick and the tomatoes are cooked. Mash lightly if you like.
- It takes about 30 to 35 minutes for the mixture to thicken.
- Put the ready jam in a sterilised bottle or jar.
- If you want to use peeled tomatoes, then leave them in hot water for 5 minutes. Peel and then chop.
- I left the cinnamon stick and cloves in the ready jam as the flavour will still be infused into the jam even after the cooking is over.
- Add lemon peel and ginger according to you taste.
- Don’t forget to stir the jam occasionally as you don’t want burnt jam.
- I didn’t remove the skin or the seeds as I like a bit of roughage and the seeds gives a bite.
|red chilli sauce|
|roasted sweet pepper pesto|