Apple Cucumber Salad
Apple Cucumber Salad
Apple Cucumber Salad, the name in a way doesn’t include all the other ingredients. However, I had to shorten the title. But yes, the main ingredients for this salad are apple, cucumber and onion. The rest are what I add depending what is available in my fridge. Apple Cucumber Salad is so easy to put together. It is a healthy, filling and crunchy salad. Several times I’ve made big batches of this salad for pizza parties, potlucks, picnics, etc. The orange vinaigrette adds a deliciously sweetish fruity taste to the salad.
Whenever I have to make a larger quantity, I chop the salad ingredients a day before except for the apple. As apple turns brown I prefer to chop it when required. I know adding lemon juice or vinegar prevents it from turning brown, but that is my preference. I make the vinaigrette ahead and save time. Rainbow Salad is an often requested salad for potlucks and parties.
This recipe serves 2 as a light meal and 4 as a side dish.
Some Salads Ideal For Potlucks, Cookouts, Picnics
Ingredients Required For Apple Cucumber Salad & Orange Vinaigrette
Apple – any apple of your choice, red or green. For this recipe I have used red apple. I don’t peel the apple, but you can if you want to. When you chop the apple, drizzle some lemon juice over it and mix so that the apple does not turn brown. Core and dice the apple.
Cucumber – I prefer to use English Cucumber as then I don’t have to peel the skin off. Use any cucumber of your choice. Cut into small cubes.
Onion – I prefer red onion for this recipe as it is a bit more pungent than the white or yellow ones. It adds a good balance to the sweetness from the apple, carrot and orange vinaigrette. Chop it finely.
Carrot – Peel and dice. Can also grate the carrot. Can replace it with beetroot, cooked parsnip, squash, etc.
Radish – use white or red. I got some red ones so added those. This ingredient is optional and can be replaced with any other salad vegetable of your choice like fennel bulb, cabbage, celery, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
Spring Onion – I added chopped spring onion as I had it in the fridge. You can add chopped fresh coriander, parsley, baby spinach, ertc.
Fresh Orange Juice – for the vinaigrette.
Orange Zest – adds a lovely flavour to the dressing.
Olive Oil – for the dressing.
Vinegar – use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
Maple Syrup – optional as sometimes the orange juice is very sweet. If you don’t have maple syrup then add some honey.
Mustard Powder – I prefer adding coarsely ground mustard seeds. Feel free to use Dijon Mustard instead.
Salt – Add according to your taste.
Pepper Powder – add according to your taste.
Make It More Filling:
- Add cooked quinoa, bulgur wheat, rice, amaranth, buckwheat or pasta.
- Add couscous.
APPLE CUCUMBER SALAD & ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup diced onion red or white
- ½ cup diced red radish
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup spring onion chopped
FOR THE ORANGE VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp maple syrup optional
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ¼-½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD:
- Wash the apple, cucumber, carrot and radishes.
- Wash the spring onion to get rid of any dirt.
- Peel and chop the onion and carrot into small cubes. Or can grate the carrot.
- Chop the apple into small pieces and drizzle lemon juice over it. Mix well.
- Chop the radish and cucumber into small pieces.
- Mix the salad ingredients in a mixing bowl.
PREPARATION OF THE ORANGE VINAIGRETTE:
- Wash the orange and zest it. If you don't have a zester use your box grater. Make sure you don't grate the white part.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Alternately, add them to a jar. Close the lid tightly and give it a good shake.
- Pour the orange vinaigrette over the salad.
- Toss the salad and serve.
- Prepare the salad ahead and keep it in the fridge to cool. However do not add the dressing and onions. Sprinkle some lemon juice over the apple slices so that they do not turn brown.
- If the skin of the cucumber is crunchy, do not peel it off.
- Add fresh mint, basil if you like.
- Add any vegetables, grains of your choice to make the salad different and filling.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962