275. coconut banana cashew muffins
Cricket fever was on a high in our block because of the IPL (Indian Premier League) matches. Come evening and kids would be playing cricket outside. Some breaking windows, others setting off the car alarms and some getting injured. My neighbour’s daughter was playing cricket with a team of boys and in the process she broke her arm. Feeling sad, depressed and irritated, my neighbour was finding to difficult to cheer her up. She loves muffins so I decided to bake some for her and that brought a broad smile onto her face. However, once the muffins got over, the broad smile too disappeared. But now homework and reading is keeping her busy. I made some eggless coconut banana cashew muffins. They turned out pretty good and tasted better the next day. Very tropical because its got coconut, banana, honey, cashew nuts and pineapple flavour. Remember the number of muffins you will get will entirely depend on the size of the muffin cups. I have medium size muffin cups so I usually get 16.
COCONUT BANANA CASHEW MUFFINS
Makes about 12 to 16
1 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
½ cup desiccated coconut
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
¼ cup white or brown sugar
5 tbsp mashed banana
½ cup honey
6 tbsp oil
½ cup coarsely chopped cashew nuts
½ cup coconut milk or plain milk
2 tbsp plain yogurt
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp pineapple flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the muffin tins or muffin tray with paper cups.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt togther into a big bowl.
- Add the coconut and cashew nuts to it and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk together sugar, mashed banana, honey, oil, yogurt, flavour and milk very well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Mix till the flour is all wet. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Fill them three quarter of the way.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are light golden brown. Insert a toothpick or a fork into the middle of a muffin. if it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
- Add a flavouring of your choice.
- Sprinkle the top with yor choice of topping, like coconut, sprinkles, chocolate chips. Or ice them with frosting of your choice.
- I usually use sunflower oil for muffins. Use any oil of your choice as long as it does not have a strong smell and taste.
You may want to check out the following :