269. orange carrot muffins
orange it is
Happy birthday Arti. I have made some orange carrot muffins today. Catch a plane and come down. Hope you get a more delicious and decorated cake than the muffins.
Orange and carrots are a nice combination for cakes, muffins and juice. The muffins turned out soft and yummy. I forgot I was making muffins with eggs. As I normally do, I filled the cups three quarter of the way and some of the muffins had a huge dome on top. Have to remember next time to fill the cups only halfway. The original recipe is from Martha Stewart but as usual I added my own things to it. Orange, walnuts are missing from her recipe and she used pumpkin spice which I didn’t have any. You can add any nuts or dried fruit to it. I love the way one can play around with ingredients to create new muffins.
ORANGE CARROT MUFFINS
12 to 16 muffins
1 cup wheat flour
¾ cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
¾ cup sugar (white or brown)
2 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda (soda bicarbonate)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup plain yogurt
2 tsp grated orange peel (zest)
4 tbsp melted butter
½ tsp salt
2 cups(150g) finely shredded carrots
½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray or cups with paper cups.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add the chopped walnuts to the flour and mix.
- In another bowl add egg, sugar, butter, orange zest and yogurt. Whisk everything together till is it a bit frothy.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Mix just enough so that the flour is wet.
- Add the shredded carrots. Mix gently.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined muffin tray or cups. Remember to fill it only half way.
- Bake in the hot oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till the tops are light golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the middle of one muffin. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
- Remove the muffins from the oven. Remove them from the tray or muffins cups. Let them cool on a wire rack.
- If the muffins are not done in 25 to 30 minutes and you feel the tops may begin to burn, lower the temperature to 150°C.
- Pumpkin spice is 1½ tsp cinnamon powder, ¼ tsp ginger powder and ¼ tsp nutmeg powder. Add pumpkin powder instead of orange zest.
- Add raisins or any other nuts instead of walnuts.
- Remember to peel the carrots before shredding them.
|eggless carrot muffins|
|chocolate banana walnut muffins|