255. Indian beans salad
It’s salad time again
I made some pani puri for dinner a few days ago. In spite of the measurement, I was left with a bit of boiled chickpeas and green grams.Decided to use it up in a salad. Delightful was the verdict and refreshing. A clever way to have your proteins if you are a total vegetarian. The following recipe is a rough guideline but add any other vegetables you want to. The idea is to have a nutritious and filling salad. I have named it an indian bean salad because chickpeas and green grams are the most commonest beans present in any indian kitchen.
INDIAN BEANS SALAD
For 2 or 4
¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
½ cup carrot sticks or tiny cubes
¼ cup strips of sweet pepper
½ cup boiled moong (green grams)
½ cup boiled brown chickpeas (brown chana)
½ cup diced tomatoes
½ cup diced cucumber
1 cup lettuce pieces or mixed greens
8 to 10 mint leaves
2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- Put the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl. Whisk it. Add the onion slices to it. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl and let the onion marinate in the dressing for 30 minutes or so.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients and leave the bowl covered in the fridge till serving time.
- Just before serving, mix in the marinate mixture. Toss the salad and serve.
- Add a bit of grated ginger to the dressing.
- Use sprouted moong (green grams) instead of boiled ones.
- To boil green grams, wash and soak the beans in warm water for 1 hour. Put some fresh water to boil in a saucepan. Add a bit of salt. Drain out the water from the beans. Add the beans to the boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes or less till the beans are done. Don’t overcook as you may land up with mushy beans.
- To cook chickpeas, you need to soak them overnight in warm water. Next day drain out the water, wash the beans and put them in a pressure cooker. Cover the beans with water. Add salt. Cover the cooker and cook for 3 whistles over medium heat.
- Put some fresh chopped coriander instead of mint.
- Add chopped green chillis if you like.
|grapefruit onion salad