241. greek salad
a cooling down remedy
At the moment it is so hot that either a cold dessert or a nice cool salad is all I want to eat. I wish I could just eat ice lollies, ice creams, sorbets and nothing else. However, bearing in mind all the calories I would add on the the already excessive ones, I opt for the salads. Not that I am complaining as I love salads. A few days ago I made a huge bowl of greek salad for dinner. Healthy, crunchy and believe it or not got most of the ingredients in spite of the hot weather and shortage of vegetables.
for 4 or 2 as a meal
2 medium tomatoes cut into chunks
1 cupful of cucumber chunks
½ cup sliced sweet pepper of any colour
½ cup feta cheese cubes
2 cups lightly packed mixed salad leaves or 2 to 3 leaves of iceberg lettuce
1 small onion sliced, white or red
12 olives of any kind either left whole or halved
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp vinegar, either cider or balsamic or any good vinegar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar or 1 tsp honey
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
1 tsp dried oregano
- Slice the onion thinly.
- Make the dressing and let the sliced onion marinate in it for ½ hour.
- Prepare the rest of th vegetables.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Just before serving, add the dressing and mix well.
- If the skin of the cucumber is thick, peel it before cutting the cucumber.
- If you like the taste of raw onion, don’t marinade it.
- Use green or black olives of your choice.
- Always use a sharp knife to cut tomatoes.
You may want to check out the following :