192. eggless coconut pineapple banana bread
it’s tea time
I can’t stay without baking for too long. As the days are getting hotter, I thought to myself, less baking so that the kitchen does not get too hot but unfortunately it is difficult to stay away from the oven. A few pineapple chunks were sitting in the fridge and I opted to try out an eggless pineapple tea bread. A bread without yeast, looking very much like a cake. I couldn’t find any pineapple extract or flavouring in the supermarket here but must get some during one of my foreign trips. I used tinned pineapples and the juice but still my husband thought that it lacked the pineapple taste. Bananas tend to overpower the other flavours. However, till I come across another good recipe, this is a good tea bread to have on its own or with butter, jam or honey.
EGGLESS COCONUT PINEAPPLE BANANA BREAD
8 to 10 servings
1 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 cup wheat flour
½ cup brown or white sugar
2 medium bananas
¼ cup oil
½ cup finely chopped canned pineapple
½ cup dessicated coconut
¼ cup pineapple juice (saved from the can)
1 tsp soda bicarbonate
1 tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ginger powder
for topping :
½ cup icing sugar
1 tbsp water
- Grease a loaf tin with butter. Dust it with flour.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Mash the bananas.
- Sift the flours, salt, spices and soda bicarbonate together.
- Mix in the dessicated coconut.
- In another bowl whisk mashed bananas, sugar, oil and juice together.
- Add the flour to the whisked mixture and mix till the flour just gets wet.
- Gently mix in the pineapple. Do not over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes till the top is golden brown. Insert a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean the bread is done.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Leave it in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool it on a wire rack.
- Sieve the icing sugar. Add water and mix it well. Drizzle the glace icing over the bread. Serve.
- Can used crushed pineapple if you like.
- Omit the dessicated coconut and instead add that much flour.
- Add chopped nuts of your choice.
- Vary the amount of spice according to your taste.