105. thanda, thanda cool cool
Fresh crunchy juicy cucumbers are a delight to have on its own or in a salad. Cucumbers grown locally in Mombasa seem to have disappeared. The ones from up country are fine but the skin can be a bit tough. Whenever I can, I buy English cucumber from the supermarkets. They rarely are bitter, are nice and juicy and the skin is thin and crunchy too. I used a mandolin (cheeni, slicer) to get thin slices length wise. Then I cut them into thin strips to give the salad a different look. You can just slice them into rings or semi circles, whatever you prefer.
2 cucumbers or 1 English cucumber (approximately 2 cups of sliced cucumber)
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup chopped fresh coriander
10 to 12 pistachios
½ garlic minced
½ tsp salt
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
1 tsp balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the cucumber.
- Tear up the mint leaves with your hands and add to the cucumber.
- Add the chopped coriander.
- Roast the pistachios lightly on a pan and cut into half . Add to the salad.
- To make the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together.
- Mix the salad and drizzle the dressing over it.
- If you want to serve it chilled, add the dressing just before serving.
- Use vinegar of your choice.
- Can add a finely chopped green chilli if you want.