Fresh Pineapple Salsa
Fresh Pineapple Salsa
Fresh Pineapple Salsa is a delicious combination of sweet and tangy ingredients with a bit of spiciness. Can be served with any Mexican Dish, as a starter with chips or simply enjoy it on its own as a salad.
What is a Salsa?
Technically, a salsa is a sauce made with cooked ingredients, the most common being tomato, onion, cilantro, chilis and lemon juice. Salsa Fresca is a fresh sauce. No cooking takes place for the Salsa Fresca. The ingredients are chopped and mixed together. Usually enjoyed with some tortilla chips or on its own as a starter or a salad. This Pineapple Salsa is actually a Salsa Fresca.
I’ve got to thank my daughter for this recipe. I’d barely begun blogging and she sent me this recipe from a magazine. “Mum, try this out. Its so colorful and am sure it will taste good.” And I did. As I couldn’t find any jalapeño, I used chopped green chilis and chilli flakes instead. The recipe since then has been prepared in that manner and we love it.
How I Usually Serve Fresh Pineapple Salsa?
- Usually with tortilla chips.
- Have enjoyed it as a salad.
- Served it with crackers and even our desi khakhra.
- Tastes really good with bean burgers or served on the side with quesadilla.
Can you use canned or tinned pineapples?
Yes you can. I get plenty of fresh pineapples where I live so use that. However, I have tried making the salsa with canned pineapple titbits and it tastes great.
Some Salsa Recipes That May Interest You
Ingredients Required For Fresh Pineapple Salsa
- Pineapple – fresh or tinned (canned) cut into pieces
- Tomato – fresh, chopped finely
- Onion – I’ve used red onion but you can use any of your choice. Peel and finely chop it.
- Fresh Coriander – cilantro, washed and chopped. Don’t throw away the tender stems as they are packed with flavour. Chop it finely and add to the salsa.
- Red Pepper – finely chopped
- Jalapeño – I’ve used fresh chilis instead
- Red Chilli Flakes – totally optional. I add it as I love the flavour of it with pineapple.
- Salt – add according to your taste
- Lemon Juice – preferably fresh
- Gluten Free
Pin for Later:
FRESH PINEAPPLE SALSA
- 1 cup pineapple finely chopped
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1 fresh chilli or jalapeno finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- If you are using tinned pineapple, drain out the juice from it.
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl just before serving.
- If you want to prepare the salsa for a party, mix all the ingredients except salt and leave it in the refrigerator. Add salt just before serving.
- Add chilli flakes, chilis or jalapeño according to your taste.
- Use the above recipe as a salad. Just chop the vegetables and fruits a bit bigger.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962