27. a crunchy treat
A CRUNCHY TREAT FOR HIREN
Everyone loves desserts, well almost everyone, but not as much as my cousin Hiren. What do you make when you don’t want to just serve ice cream on its own? Some fresh fruit and ice cream is the answer. But add a little bit of crunch to it and its a perfect ending to a chinese meal. This recipe will take care of any leftover wanton or samosa wrappers. For Hiren it will be a perfect ending to any type of meal as long as Heni makes it. Its amazingly refreshing with mangoes but feel free to use any fresh fruit.
perfect for 2
2 cups of any diced fresh fruit ( bananas, mangoes, peaches, berries, fresh figs)
1 cup of fried wanton or samosa wrappers. Cut into pieces before frying.
3 tbsps honey
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
2 scoops ice cream. Flavour of your choice.
- Cut the fruit just before serving to prevent it from turning brown.
- Roast the sesame seeds in a pan over low heat or in the microwave oven for 30 seconds.
- Put the honey in a medium size pan. Heat the honey gently till it begins to bubble. Add to it the sesame seeds and the fried wrapper pieces. Mix well and remove from the heat. Let it cool for a bit.
- In a serving bowl, put the fresh fruit. Top it up with a scoop of ice cream. Put the honey crunchy bits on the side and serve.
- Prepare the crunchy honey pieces ahead and store in an airtight jar. Keeps for a day or two.
- Can used roasted nuts as an extra treat.
- Flavoured honey goes well with this recipe.