Remembering my Mum
My mum was a very good cook where traditional Gujarati dishes were concerned. Actually, can’t remember her ever wanting to try out the new western dishes like pizza, tacos, burgers etc. Instead, she left that to my kaki (aunt) and me to try out during the weekends. One of my mum’s dishes loved by all was vaghareli rotli. Best ever comfort food for my siblings and cousins. All of us have tried to make it like mum’s but there is still something missing. I think its simply the love that she added. This simple dish is a popular meal in our household.
Some of Mum’s Recipes that I love:
- Going to watch movies at the Drive In meant that handvo would be on the menu. My mum made handvo on the sigri (jiko).
- Sunday brunch or afternoon tea time whenever we were not going out to watch a movie mum would make tikhi puri. For the adults it was served with masala tea and for the kids with Milo milk.
- Mum’s favorite were matar kachori and lilva ni kachori.
- Her idea of pasta was with to prepare it like an Indian curry, with tempering, turmeric, chillis, the works. And it was an absolute treat for us. We called it Mum’s Buitoni.
- Mum’s Dhebras was what the whole family loved.
- Flaky Maida na Parotha with homemade pickle was another breakfast treat.
- My mum loved making super crispy and flaky farsi puri as my dad loved it so much. Remember helping her to smear the rolled dough with the paste.
A bit about Vaghareli Rotli
Vaghareli in Gujarati means tempered. We generally add mustard and cumin seeds with a bit of garlic, ginger and green chillis. Rotli is roti, a wheat flatbread. Rotli is a staple in most Gujarati homes so its common to find that one will often have leftover rotlis at home. Vaghareli rotli can be a snack time meal tasting yummy when sprinkled with a bit of chevdo, bhusu or sev or it can be a wholesome but light dinner meal. God save you if you have to share it with my brother! Its his all time favourite meal on this earth. If he is around, you ain’t getting any!
Ingredients required for Vaghareli Rotli
- Leftover rotli – roti, wheat flatbread. You can even used leftover tortilla.
- Oil – any of your choice.
- Mustard Seeds – rai
- Cumin Seeds – jeera, jeeru
- Turmeric Powder – haldi, hardar
- Asafetida – hing
- Fresh Ginger – I like to use in the paste form or grated
- Green Chillis – use minced or chopped into rings
- Garlic – can used sliced or minced
- Sour Yogurt – sour yogurt adds more flavour to the dish. However, If you don’t have any use plain yogurt.
- Water – depending on how much curry you want
- Fresh Coriander – dhania , cilantro. Washed and chopped
- 6-8 rotli, roti
- 1 cup sour plain yogurt whisked
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1-2 green chillis, sliced
- ¾ -1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp asafetida optional
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- Put oil in a saucepan and let it get a bit hot over medium heat.
- In the meantime tear the rotlis into bite size pieces.
- When the oil is ready, add mustard and cumin seeds to it.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the chopped garlic. Stir fry till it turns a bit pink.
- Add the chilli and ginger paste. Add the turmeric powder and asafetida.
- Add the rotli pieces. Mix well. Let the rotli pieces cook for a minute or two.
- Add the salt and water. Mix. Let it come to a gentle boil.
- Lower the heat and add the whisked yogurt. Mix well. Let the mixture become hot but don't let it boil.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
- Whenever you make roti, rotli, store the leftovers in the freezer. When you have enough, make this easy delicious snack.
- Can use leftover paratha, tortilla.
- For a more creamier consistency, use more yogurt.
- Add water according to how thick or watery you want the vaghareli rotli to be.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962